Will Chris Rock Bury Will Smith After His Video Apology? It seems unlikely, insiders say

FILE - Photo combination Chris Rock, left, at a FX press conference in Pasadena, California, 9 from 2020. and Will Smith at the Oscar nominees luncheon in Los Angeles on March 7, 2022. (AP Photo/Archivo)

Chris Rock is not expected to contact Will Smith following his apology last week for the March Oscars slap. (Photos: Foto AP/Archivo)

Don’t expect Chris Rock and Will Smith to embrace it anytime soon.

After Smith broke his silence on the Oscars slap in a video on Friday — apologizing to Rock and saying he’s “here whenever you’re ready to talk” — the word back seems to be that Smith shouldn’t keep the his breath

“Chris has no plans to contact Will,” a source said Entertainment tonight on Monday. The insider went on to question the timing of Smith’s video, saying it was more to help himself, adding: “He needs the public’s forgiveness, not Chris.”

ONE People The magazine’s source took a similar partisan line, saying, “Chris doesn’t need to talk. This is clearly something that bothers Will more than Chris. Will needs to deal with his issues. Chris is fine.”

A second person told this agency, “The fact that [Rock] making jokes about it is already good. That means it evaluates it. But the stress of the slap and the consequences has not taken over his life. Exactly the opposite.”

It’s true — Rock has addressed the March 27 incident Ego Death World Tour, which started on the heels of the Oscars. In May, he made remarks about recovering his “hearing” after being “punched in the face.” Last weekend, while performing in Atlanta, Rock mentioned the King Richard actor as ‘Suge Smith’. Marion “Suge” Knight, founder of Death Row Records, has a long history of violence — she’s currently incarcerated.

As these Rock sources whisper to entertainment news outlets, Smith’s sources also made it clear that the video wasn’t just a publicity stunt.

“There was no rhyme or reason to it other than time had passed, work had been done, the same questions had been fired up and also people really wanted to hear from him,” said one insider. People. “There was just a general feeling that the time had come and that he was in a place where he had more things he wanted to say.”

The person said Smith is “deeply remorseful, he’s still doing a lot of work and he’s also human and he made a mistake. He’s going to move forward with the same positivity he’s always had.”

In the meantime Us Weekly suggested that Jada Pinkett Smith was the driving force behind the video. This, of course, was Rock’s goal GI Jane joked on Oscar night, prompting Smith to storm the stage to slap and curse at an unsuspecting Rock who allegedly didn’t know she had alopecia.

Smith “never wanted” to apologize publicly, the outlet claimed, but Pinkett Smith “pushed Will into apologizing because it’s become this really dark cloud over her Red Table Talk series” due to people looking for “any mention of that moment” on her show. Smith’s team “hoped the controversy would die down, but it just hasn’t” and it had become “impossible to move forward successfully unless [addressed it],” this insider claimed.

Reps for Rock and Smith have not responded to Yahoo Entertainment’s request for comment.

On Friday, Smith released the video, answering questions from fans about the incident. In it, he told Rock: “My behavior was unacceptable and I’m here whenever you’re ready to talk.” He also denied that Pinkett Smith encouraged the slap. “I made a choice myself from my own experiences, from my history with Chris,” she said. “Jada had nothing to do with it.”

Smith awkwardly won the Best Actor award shortly after his outburst on Oscar night, not apologizing to Rock in his acceptance speech. He then went out to Oscar parties and celebrated his win. He said Friday that after the slap, he was “in a daze” and the rest of the night was a “blur.”

The day after the slap, Smith posted an apology on Instagram, saying he was “out of line” for hitting Rock, but said the joke about “Jada’s medical condition” upset him. Amid an investigation into the events of that night, Smith resigned from the Academy days later, issuing another statement calling his behavior “inexcusable”. A week later, the organization banned him from the Oscars and other events for 10 years.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.