Sergio Garcia’s stunning rant to fellow players after Scottish Open ban

Sergio Garcia - GETTY IMAGES

Sergio Garcia – GETTY IMAGES

Sergio Garcia’s graduation to captaincy on the DP World Tour is complete after a stunning locker room outburst after being fined and banned from the Scottish Open for appearing on the Saudi Arabian rebel circuit.

Garcia, 42, is one of 16 professionals threatening to sue his home after being fined £100,000 as well as banned from next week’s $8m event at the Renaissance Club near North Berwick.

Although the punishment for violating Tour rules has stopped short of ending his Ryder Cup career — so far, at least — Garcia reacted with anger and vitriol, according to multiple sources.

“The news [of the ban] appeared during last week’s BMW International [in Munich]A top player, who wished to remain anonymous, told Telegraph Sport. “Sergio flew off the handle, shouting ‘this round is s***, you’re all fucked up, he should have taken the Saudi money’. Bob MacIntyre was there and he was disgusted.”

MacIntyre and his management company declined to comment when approached by Telegraph Sport – as did Garcia’s representative – but later in that tournament the Scottish golfer posted a tweet. “Amazing how quickly you can lose respect for someone you’ve looked up to all your life,” MacIntyre, 25, wrote.

The ugly incident was the talk of the Irish Open, which finishes at Mount Juliet in Co Kilkenny on Sunday. There was plenty of resentment even before the ‘Sour 16’, as they are now being called, sent their letter to Wentworth HQ giving an ultimatum to lift the sanctions, a request which the DP World Tour flatly refused. to retreat.

“Sergio’s reputation had weighed on him before this anyway, but this has sealed it for a lot of us,” the player said. “The outrage in America the other month was one thing, but this is the home of the Tour, where it started and he shouldn’t forget that. Quite rightly, he got the money. But he doesn’t need to rub other players’ noses in it. “

In May, during the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship in Maryland, Garcia yelled at a PGA Tour umpire who timed him when he was looking for his ball. “This is absolute bulls**t,” Garcia yelled. I can’t wait to get off this tour. I can’t wait to get out of here. A few more weeks and I won’t have to deal with you any more.’

Four weeks later and Garcia was true to his word, resigning from the PGA Tour ahead of the first LIV Golf Series event in Hertfordshire, predicting the US circuit would issue indefinite bans and saying “I don’t want to get into legal battles with everyone.”

When asked why he wasn’t also leaving the DP World Tour – formerly the European Tour, Garcia replied: “First of all, I’m European, I like the European Tour. I’d definitely like to keep my participation there, at least play my minimum , and to have the best chance I can to make The Ryder Cup Team because I love this event.”

It is understood that Garcia, the Ryder Cup’s all-time leading scorer, had lobbied the Tour last week in a bid to avoid further sanctions.

“It highlights how much he has supported the tour over the years, but when was the last time he appeared at a regular event without being paid by a promoter or sponsor,” said a Tour insider.

“He hasn’t played in the flagship event at Wentworth [the BMW PGA Championship] in eight years and since 2017 he has actually appeared in fewer Rolex Series events than [American] Patrick Reed. And now he’s trying to act like he’s Mr. Europe. Let’s just say there’s no sympathy overload for his argument.”

Garcia, who has been paid an eight-figure sign-on by LIV, is set to take part in Saturday’s final round of the second $25 million event in Portland, Oregon. Through two overs, he is out of contention, 10 behind joint leaders Dustin Johnson and Carlos Ortiz.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.