LIV golf rebels escape Open Championship ban in St Andrews

LIV golf rebels escape Open Championship ban in St Andrews

St Andrews, the home of golf, will host the 150th Open next month - STUART NICOL

St Andrews, the home of golf, will host the 150th Open next month – STUART NICOL

Players enrolled in the Saudi rebel circle escaped expulsion from next month’s Open – but it may be the last league for many due to the inevitable loss of ranking points. R&A CEO Martin Slumbers confirmed that, as expected, the British organization would mimic the US Open by allowing any suitable player to play in St Andrews.

However, next year’s big companies could be a problem, even if their respective organizers allow LIV Golf Invitational Series competitors to play.

“What is clear at the moment, with LIV Golf being 54-hole races and offering no world-class points, is that kids in the top 50 in the world will slowly lose their rankings and fall out. out of 50 and that’s what gets most of these big names in the big big companies, “said Paul McGinley, the former head coach of the Europe Ryder Cup who became a Sky Sports analyst at the weekend.

“The only kids who are likely to qualify for next year ‘s Masters in April could very well be past champions, by current standards, because the others may all have dropped out of the top 50. It will be interesting to see what is going to happen, as there are so many things and scenarios that can happen. “

The Telegraph Sport revealed on Tuesday that American Brooks Koepka is the latest big name to join Greg Norman’s lucrative split series, after Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia and Bryson DeChambeau.

For some of these names, participation in major tournaments after the Open could now be questioned. Mickelson and Louis Oosthuizen have exceptions for Opens until they become 60 as previous winners. However, names like Koepka and Dustin Johnson could lose their exception next year unless they win the Open or finish in the top 10. on. Players could also be disqualified from qualifying, although the DP World Tour has not yet decided.

Anyone who played the opening event at the Centurion earlier this month was eligible to play at last week’s US Open if they qualified well or secured an exclusion through previous performances. The same thing is happening now at the 150th Open Championship, which takes place in St Andrews on July 14-17. Slumbers has made it clear that R&A will not seek to ban any LIV Golf participants from the last major category of the year.

“The Open is the original golf championship and since it was first played in 1860, the opening has been fundamental to its ethos and unique impact,” he said. “Players who are disqualified or have won a place by qualifying for the 150th Open in accordance with the terms and conditions of participation will be able to play in the St Andrews Championship.

“We are focused on hosting a world-class championship in July and celebrating this truly historic golf event. “We will invest the revenue of The Open, as we always do, for the benefit of golf, which reflects our goal of ensuring that the sport is thriving 50 years from now.”

The Masters, however, is an invitation and could deny entry to these former champions such as Mickelson, Johnson, García, Patrick Reed and Charl Schwartzel. The same goes for the US PGA.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.