F1 LIVE: Oscar Piastri impresses Alpine by insisting he WILL NOT be Fernando Alonso’s replacement next year

(Getty Images)

Oscar Piastri says he will not drive for Alpine next season, just hours after the Formula 1 team announced he will replace Fernando Alonso.

Piastri, the Formula 2 champion, said Alpine’s announcement earlier in the day that it would take the vacant 2023 seat was made without his consent. Alpine’s press release did not include quotes from the 21-year-old, fueling uncertainty over whether Piastri was even aware of the team’s decision. And in an embarrassing development for Alpine, hours after their statement Piastri reacted to the news by denying he had signed a contract for next season.

The Australian tweeted: “I understand that, without my consent, Alpine F1 issued a press release late this afternoon that I will be driving for them next year. This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not ride for Alpine next year.”

Piastri is a test driver at Alpine and, with two-time world champion Alonso leaving to replace Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin, he seemed a good fit for the team. But there were also rumors that Piastri had held talks with McLaren, with Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer suggesting there was a “pre-agreement” elsewhere.

1659517101

F1 News: Lewis Hamilton joins Denver Broncos ownership group ahead of $4.65bn sale

Lewis Hamilton has joined forces with the Denver Broncos ownership group ahead of the Walton-Penner family’s $4.65 billion takeover of the NFL franchise.

Seven-time F1 world champion Hamilton joined a joint venture with Serena Williams in April in a bid to buy Chelsea FC as part of Sir Martin Broughton’s bid, but LA Dodgers owner Todd Boehly ultimately emerged victorious.

However, the 37-year-old racing driver, who regularly spends his winters at his home in the Colorado mountains, has joined forces with the Broncos’ new ownership group, with Walmart chairman Rob Walton saying the “resilient spirit and Hamilton’s standard of excellence will be merit.”

Hamilton will work alongside former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who also joined the ownership team just two weeks ago. Hamilton tweeted: “Excited to join an incredible ownership group and become a part of Broncos history!! He is honored to work with a world-class team and serve as an example of the value of the most diverse leadership in all of sports.”

The Walton-Penner family is on the verge of completing a multibillion-dollar takeover of the 2015 NFL champions, which needs approval from NFL owners when they meet in Minneapolis next Tuesday. If the purchase is approved as expected, the deal will be the highest price ever for an American sports franchise.

1659515591

F1 news: Just one place to start… Oscar Piastri ‘will not drive for Alpine next year’ despite team announcement

Oscar Piastri says he will not drive for Alpine next season, just hours after the Formula 1 team announced he will replace Fernando Alonso. Piastri, the Formula 2 champion, said Alpine’s announcement earlier in the day that it would take the vacant 2023 seat was made without his consent.

Alpine’s press release did not include quotes from the 21-year-old, fueling uncertainty over whether Piastri was even aware of the team’s decision. And in an embarrassing development for Alpine, hours after their statement Piastri reacted to the news by denying he had signed a contract for next season.

The Australian tweeted: “I understand that, without my consent, Alpine F1 issued a press release late this afternoon that I will be driving for them next year. This is wrong and I have not signed a contract with Alpine for 2023. I will not ride for Alpine next year.”

Piastri is a test driver at Alpine and, with two-time world champion Alonso leaving to replace Sebastian Vettel at Aston Martin, he seemed a good fit for the team. But there were also rumors that Piastri had held talks with McLaren, with Alpine team principal Otmar Szafnauer suggesting there was a “pre-agreement” elsewhere.

“There are some thoughts going from a backup driver contract with options to a race driver contract,” Szafnauer said earlier on Tuesday. “I’m not aware of any pre-arrangement he has with McLaren, but I’m hearing the same rumors as you. But I know he has contractual obligations towards us and we do him.”

Piastri has nine-time grand prix winner and fellow Australian Mark Webber as his manager and the former Red Bull driver previously said his protégé should be on the F1 grid by next year.

(Getty Images)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.