F1 LIVE: Fernando Alonso hopes to regain winning touch after ditching Alpine for shock move to Aston Martin

F1: Fernando Alonso to join Aston Martin in 2023

Aston Martin has confirmed the shock signing of two-time world champion Fernando Alonso to replace Sebastian Vettel next season in huge news for the start of the F1 summer break.

The 41-year-old will leave Alpine after two years and signed a “multi-year contract” with Aston after four-time world champion Vettel announced his retirement last week.

Alonso, whose deal with Alpine was coming to the end of the season, had been expected to sign an extension but chose a new challenge to team up with Lance Stroll at Aston – with Alpine now looking to fill a surplus seat for 2023 next to Esteban. Ocon.

The news comes after the final race of the season at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday, with Max Verstappen storming from P10 to win his eighth race of the season, with Lewis Hamilton taking his fifth podium in a row in second and his Mercedes teammate George Russell. in the third.

Ferrari once again had a Sunday to forget as Charles Leclerc suffered from poor tire choice to finish sixth, while Carlos Sainz was also stumped by strategy calls and dropped back to fourth.

1659432580

F1 News: George Russell accuses Red Bull and Ferrari of ‘pushing regulations’

George Russell has hit out at Red Bull and Ferrari for “regulation pressure” after the Briton finished on the podium at the Hungarian Grand Prix. The 24-year-old had taken the first pole position of his career in Budapest on Saturday before Max Verstappen stormed through the field to win his eighth race of the season, with Russell having to settle for third behind team-mate Lewis Hamilton.

Mercedes have been dogged by seals and bounces throughout the first half of the 2022 season, with ongoing problems with their underbody damaging their Championship prospects.

Ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix in June, the FIA ​​has issued a new technical directive aimed at curbing pornography by destroying so-called ‘flexi-floors’, with the deadline coming for the first race after the summer holidays in Belgium. .

Russell believes that while Mercedes have “respected” the regulations, Ferrari and Red Bull have “pushed” them and hopes the new rules have a negative impact on Red Bull and Ferrari.

“The spa will be interesting,” Russell said. “There are some changes in some of the regulations that may bring other teams to us. I think as a team we have a lot of confidence in ourselves and belief that we’re doing a great job and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be in the mix.

1659430780

The verdict on F1’s summer break: Red Bull cruise, Mercedes progress as Ferrari fan

As Formula 1 closes for the usual summer break after a 13-race run from mid-March to the end of July, Max Verstappen must be wondering what all the fuss is about. New regulations designed to tighten the pack? Nine out of 10 podiums in a row suggest otherwise.

Last year’s controversial world champion is sailing for a title this year in a race that doesn’t have much of a cause. With the aura of a man on cruise control in the cockpit and circus off the track, the two-time world champion is not far from the anointing.

While the actions of the challengers around him only helped to facilitate rather than hinder his triumph from tenth to first, Sunday in Budapest was the move of the year so far, taking victory by eight seconds, which, without falling slow rain, it would be bigger. A fearsome combination of flawless strategies and complex overtaking maneuvers – alongside impressive control of his Red Bull during an impressive 360 ​​– saw the 24-year-old extend his Championship lead to 80 points with nine races remaining.

Insurmountable? Almost certainly. The Hungaroring was not meant to suit Red Bull, so the build-up said. And indeed, an action-packed qualifying session saw the constructors’ leaders drop to a lowly P10 and P11, giving rare moments in the sun to Mercedes and Ferrari at the top. But amid a 70-lap battle where tactics trumped skill behind the wheel, chief strategist Hannah Schmitz’s decisions were spot on as Red Bull thrived while the front of the pack faltered.

That might be harsh on Mercedes, who were slow to react to Verstappen’s initial undercut on Hamilton, but then recovered to see off their all-British duo for a second consecutive double podium. As for Ferrari? Deja Vu.

1659429399

F1 News: Fernando Alonso hopes to regain winning touch after joining Aston Martin

Fernando Alonso has said his intention is to win again in Formula One after completing a shock move to Aston Martin.

The double world champion was revealed as Sebastian Vettel’s replacement just four days after the 35-year-old German announced he would retire at the end of the year. Alonso’s multi-season deal will see him stay on the grid past his 43rd birthday.

His capture is a major coup for Aston Martin, who have moved swiftly to land a big name after Vettel informed them last Wednesday that he would not be continuing beyond this season.

It is understood Alonso initially held informal talks with the British team earlier this year before agreeing a contract that could last up to three seasons. Alonso’s contract with Alpine was set to expire at the end of the season and talks over a renewal had stalled.

“I still have the hunger and ambition to fight to be at the front and I want to be part of an organization that is dedicated to learning, developing and succeeding,” said Alonso, who won two consecutive championships for Renault in 2005 and in 2006. .

“This Aston Martin team clearly uses their energy and commitment to win, and is therefore one of the most exciting teams in Formula 1 today. We all appreciate that there is much to be done to get to the front and that we must use all our strength to work together to find performance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.